Frequently Asked Questions

If you’ve made it this far, you may be considering a move to Kitimat, Prince Rupert, Terrace or the Hazeltons! Below are commonly asked questions about what it’s like to live in NWBC. Please get in touch if yours are not addressed. We’re here to help!


What is the healthcare situation like? How easy is it to see a doctor?

Healthcare in NWBC is excellent, accessible and run by Northern Health.

There are over 26 resident and visiting specialists and a multitude of family doctors in the region.

If you are in need of a doctor, Northern Health provides resources and recommendations on how to find one. You can also contact HealthLinkBC through their free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line: 8-1-1.

How many hospitals are there?

There are four hospitals in the region with a new, state-of-the-art hospital set to be operational in Terrace by 2024.

The new Mills Memorial Hospital will include a trauma center, including a number of health and wellness centres in smaller communities with doctors to provide basic and follow up care.

Do I have to go down to the lower mainland if I need to see a specialist?

There are over 26 resident and visiting specialists in the region. Northwest BC has oncology, dialysis and MRI services in place.

What do I need to know if I'm coming from outside B.C.?

Healthcare is publicly funded by both the federal and provincial government. Public health insurance in B.C. is called the Medical Services Plan (MSP) and is available to eligible residents. MSP covers the cost of medically-necessary doctor services. You must fall under one of the following categories to enrol:

Lives in British Columbia and is physically present in the province for at least 6 months of the calendar year.

Dependents include spouses, children and dependent post-secondary students of eligible residents.

First Nations Resident
Enrolment and administration of MSP is done through the First Nations Health Authority.

Temporary Resident
Individuals who hold a study and/or work permit. Permits must be valid for a minimum of 6 months.

For more information, visit


What is internet access and cell service like?

Most communities are equipped with high-speed broadband internet, including Fiber Optic and LTE cell service.

What about connectivity in more rural areas?

While high-speed internet is becoming standard throughout the region, advocacy work is underway to ensure broadband and cellular service is available to all residents and businesses, with satellite options available for the more rural areas.


I have kids in grade school. What are their schooling options?

There is a mix of public, private and religious schools from elementary to high school. French immersion is also available in some communities.

Please check our map to identify the educational institutions we have in the region.

What team sports and community recreation groups are available for my kids?

Northwest BC is known for its world-class skiing and snowboarding, hiking, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking and there are clubs and community groups for each of these activities. Please check our map to identify the activities and community groups we have in Northwest BC.

Real Estate

What are housing prices like?

The average price of a home in the region is 4x cheaper than in Vancouver.

Visit the BC Real Estate Association’s website for more information.

What are my housing options?

There are a range of purchase and rental options to suit your needs across Northwest BC at affordable prices.

Fun fact: you can get a serviced lot in the Hazeltons for $5,000 to $10,000!

Here are some resources to help you with your search: